Monday, November 25, 2019

Meet Ujma Hasmi, Community Health Worker Providing Protein Supplements for Hundreds of Children

Ujma Hasmi, GPM community health worker

Ujma has been working with GPM at Shravan Health Center for eight months. She works in community health outreach, such as the distribution of protein powder in our Love2Learn classes at the Joshua Greenberger Learning Center in Kalwa slums, Mumbai.. 

“When I distribute the protein powder, I feel like the children are my own children – I am very protective of them. I am always very careful to give them the correct quantities and I love seeing the improvements in their health as a result of the powder.” 

Ujma loves working for GPM because she feels the job gives her the ability to give back to her community. She is always offering to take on extra work because she enjoys learning new things. Since starting work she has learnt how to do wound dressings and blood tests. For Ujma the Shravan Health Center “feels like a second home.”  

“The children get excited when they see me coming because they know I am there to give them the protein powder, it tastes like chocolate so the kids enjoy drinking it.” 
Children enjoying nutritional protein drinks

No comments:

Post a Comment